Aug 23, 2017
This episode we will cover clinical lifestyle evidence based medicine in cardiovascular disease. We will cover:
- What is Lifestyle Medicine (LM)?
- Why do we need it?
- Chronic disease burden
- What are the myths and facts about changing peoples lifestyles?
- LM in hypertension, size of effect and details - including DASH diet, reduction by weight loss, smoking cessation, diet changes, physical activity, mindfulness and some specific foods
- LM in high cholesterol
- LM in coronary artery disease
- LM in secondary prevention of stroke
Salehi-Abargouei A, Maghsoudi Z, Shirani F. Effects of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)-style diet on fatal or nonfatal cardiovascular diseases – incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis on observational prospective studies. Nutrition 2013; 29:611–618.
Siervo M, Lara J, Chowdhury S et al. Effects of the Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet on cardiovascular risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Nutr 2015;113:1–15.